clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland women’s soccer draws with UCF, 1-1

The Terps end their scoreless streak, but it doesn’t come with a win.

Jlon Flippens Gabe Fernandez/ Testudo Times

A reemerging offense combined with stellar goalkeeping were key for the Terps on Thursday, as Maryland drew against UCF 1-1.

After UCF forward Konya Plummer scored in the 33rd minute, Maryland midfielder Hope Lewandoski equalized in the 64th minute and the score held through overtime. UCF held a sizeable advantage in shots and shots on goal, but Maryland’s defense was able limit the damage.

UCF’s attack was relentless throughout the first half, stacking opportunities while exhausting the Maryland defense. The Knights were able to break through in the 32nd minute off a goal from Konya Plummer, who was subbed in minutes before. UCF’s Zandy Soree played a long, arcing pass towards the goal, causing goalkeeper Rachel Egyed to come forward off her line. But Plummer was able to outrun her defender and beat Egyed to the ball, tapping it through and into the net.

Maryland’s first scoring opportunity came in the final minute of the half, when Loren Sefcik was fed a pretty pass to set her up to score. She was able to put the ball on goal, with the save by UCF’s Vera Varis deflecting into play. Alyssa Poarch had a golden opportunity to make a play on the ball, but hit it too far right and missed, ending the half with the score at 1-0.

The second half was much like the first: UCF dominating possession with the Terps scrambling to keep the ball away from goal. Things finally broke from that pattern in the 64th minute, when Hope Lewandoski snapped the team’s scoreless streak and tied the game at 1-1. The play began with an entry pass to Alyssa Poarch, who was able to take it into the box and put it on goal. After Varis made saves on consecutive shots by Poarch, Lewandoski found herself in the right place at the right time and was able to get the job done.

Following the goal, the pace of play picked up significantly for the Terps. Maryland was suddenly energized on offense, stringing together more substantial possessions as the half continued. Then things came to a dead stop when thunderstorm warnings delayed play for 30 minutes. Following the delay, both teams looked out of sync offensively and the score held at 1-1 going into overtime.

UCF was back to dominating in the overtime period, getting several attempts on goal and really making Egyed work. But the senior goalkeeper held strong again, and was able to keep UCF scoreless to send it to a second overtime.

Both teams traded possessions into the final overtime period, but towards the end the Terps began to find some chances. Darby Moore nearly drew a penalty after being tackled in the box, but the referees deemed it a clean play.

Maryland will be back in action on Sunday as they remain at home to finish out their non-conference schedule against George Washington.

Three Things to Know

  1. The scoreless streak is over. With a streak spanning 340 minutes, the Terps were finally able to get back into the scoring column. Last season’s scoreless streak lasted over 600 minutes, so the Terps figured things out quicker this time around. It’ll be interesting to see if a streak like that happens again this season.
  2. Maryland’s offensive execution was there. Something Ray Leone mentioned when he spoke on Tuesday was the execution on goal scoring opportunities. Although Poarch whiffed on one attempt, the steady and composed finish on the Lewandoski goal. Hopefully this is a turning point for the team going forward.
  3. Rachel Egyed had another big game. In last weeks game against Drexel, Egyed made a career-high nine saves. This week she surpassed that, coming up with 10 saves. It’s also the second game in a row she started and finished, so while the offense is still a work in progress, the goalkeeper position is firmly locked down.