clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland field hockey beats UConn 2-1 in overtime, advances to Final Four

The Terrapins knock off the defending champions in College Park.

maryland field hockey Gabe Fernandez / Testudo Times

Maryland field hockey snuck past Connecticut in sudden-death overtime, 2-1, on Sunday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The No. 2-seed Terrapins are moving on to the Final Four.

Both teams scored goals in the first half, but in the second half it was the Maryland defense that forced overtime. In overtime, Madison Maguire was able to put in the game-winning goal for the Terrapins (21-2), sending them to Louisville, Kentucky, for championship weekend for the second consecutive season.

The first half began with pressure from both ends, but Connecticut (19-4) would strike first. With less than 12 minutes remaining in the first half, Abby Gooderham was able to put a shot in the back of the goal off of a penalty corner try.

Maryland put pressure on Connecticut quickly, and leveled the score when Bodil Keus ripped a pass from outside the offensive zone to the front of the goal where Bibi Donraadt was able to flick it into the net.

Despite the Huskies putting pressure on Maryland and the score even at 1-1, the stats showed Maryland was doing a great job defensively. The Terrapins held a 7-2 lead in shots, with both Connecticut shots coming off penalty corners. The Huskies also had a yellow card issued to goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher, but Maryland wasn’t able to capitalize against the backup, Abby Lucas, before the half ended.

The beginning of the second half nearly replicated the effort Maryland put out against Albany. The Terrapins held possession and kept pressing the Huskies, but weren’t able to put any solid chances together.

Connecticut had two more corner chances and a breakaway that were each turned away by Sarah Holliday and the Maryland defense. Maryland’s best chance came with just over a minute left, as the Terrapins earned a corner, but were unable to put it away.

As overtime began, Connecticut countered after a Maryland attack and had a clean one-on-one against Holliday. The shot snuck past her, but Hannah Bond laid out and was able to clear the ball off of the goal line and send it wide.

The Huskies then found themselves with a three-on-one chance, but Holliday came through with the stop. As Connecticut players argued for a call, the Terrapins quickly reversed field and Maguire took the ball from the top of the circle and was able to make a move to her left and rip a shot into the goal.

Maryland will take on Princeton in the Final Four on Friday in Louisville for a chance to return to the national title game.