clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland men’s soccer concedes 90th-minute goal to Indiana in 2-1 loss

The Terps kept it close with the No. 4 Hoosiers, but couldn’t force overtime.

maryland men’s soccer Gabe Fernandez | Testudo Times

With time running out in the regular season, Maryland men’s soccer needed a positive result against No. 4 Indiana to improve its resume. But after coming back to tie the score in the second half, the Terps allowed a 90th-minute goal with 18 seconds left to lose in heartbreaking fashion, 2-1.

Andrew Gutman, Indiana’s leading scorer on the season, certainly lived up to that title against Maryland. His 32nd-minute header took the lead early, and despite Paul Bin’s extraordinary equalizer, the senior delivered a gut-wrenching stunner with time running out to give the Hoosiers the victory.

Maryland had some early chances, but then the Hoosiers took control in the first half. Indiana seemed to take the lead in the 19th minute when Gutman delivered a heading strike into the right side of the net. However, not only was he offside, but in colliding with Dayne St. Clair, he was issued a yellow card.

Instead of taking caution and playing more conservatively, though, Gutman kept up his tenacity and found himself in position to take the lead less than 15 minutes later. Austin Panchot took a corner in the 32nd minute, one of 10 in the half for Indiana, and crossed the ball into the box. Gutman was there once again, and this time around, his goal stood on the field. Indiana had the lead, and Maryland was now forced to come back.

The Hoosiers controlled the pace of play out of halftime, and it appeared that the second half would go the way the majority of the first had gone. They got a shot off in the 47th minute, but it was harmless.

Sejdic broke through in the 55th, although his shot was blocked before it could reach the goal. But it paved the way for a crucial free kick in two minutes later. Chase Gasper, who had missed the last six games with a back injury, lofted a ball into the box. It was off target, and an Indiana defender had a chance to clear. But he didn’t put enough behind it, and Bin volleyed a strike on goal. The ball whipped past Muse and went just under the crossbar, and the Terps were suddenly tied.

Maryland used that momentum to take control of the second half, and the Terrapins were able to get off shot after shot. Sebastian Elney had a header opportunity, but Muse was there for the stop.

The Terrapins’ best chance to take the lead came in the 75th minute, as Sejdic had a terrific look on a volley with an open left side of the net. However, his shot sailed wide, and the game remained tied.

Overtime seemed to be a certainty in the 90th minute, but Indiana didn’t let the match get that far. On his fourth shot of the night, Gutman ripped a shot past the outstretched arms of St. Clair to stun Maryland with just 18 seconds remaining. A hard-fought 90 minutes by Maryland were suddenly for naught.

Three things to know

1. Andrew Gutman delivered. Despite being a defender, Gutman entered Friday night’s game as the leading scorer for Indiana thus far. The senior took the lead on a header early, but his most important contribution came at the last possible moment. In cold-blooded fashion, he broke the Terrapins’ back with a 90th minute goal to send Maryland home with the loss.

2. Paul Bin continues to impress. The junior’s speed and athleticism were on full display earlier in the season, but this time around, he didn’t have to do much for the scoring chance. He was in the right place at the right time, but his rocket of a shot was the difference in tying the score.

3. Another late collapse. The Terps had a win in hand against Wisconsin earlier in the season at home, but the back line fell through late to allow a 90th-minute equalizer. This time around, Maryland was looking forward to overtime when its defense let up at the worst possible time. No one knows what would have happened in overtime, but the chance was ripped out from its grasp.