Packers rookie safety Darnell Savage maintained his strong play Sunday at home against the Broncos, recording his first career interception on a Joe Flacco pass late in the third quarter.
What a SAVAGE first career interception!!!#HeATerp pic.twitter.com/fxnlfhsSpL— Testudo Times (@testudotimes) September 22, 2019
The interception was a key factor in Green Bay’s 27-16 victory, stopping the Broncos from driving into the Packers’ territory and shortening the deficit. Savage finished the game with five tackles and one pass deflected in addition to the interception.
Savage’s play has been a driving force in turning around the Packers defense this season, especially in the secondary. The unit ranks fifth in the NFL in pass defense through the first three games, which is up from 12th a year ago.
SB Nation NFL analyst Peter Bukowski had this to say about Savage’s play thus far this season.
Darnell Savage picked off Joe Flacco this week, forced a fumble on Kirk Cousins last week, and dropped a pick against Mitch Trubisky in Week 1.— Peter Bukowski (@Peter_Bukowski) September 23, 2019
Rookie is consistently affecting the QB. DROY candidate right now for sure.
Other Standout Performers
The rest of the Terps in the league had much quieter performances this week, but there were still some big plays.
DJ Moore recorded his first touchdown of the season in the Panthers 38-20 win over the Cardinals. The second year pro gained 52 yards on the play, dodging a sea of Arizona defenders after hauling in a pass from backup quarterback Kyle Allen.
The score was his only catch of the day, though he only received one other target. Moore also ran the ball once for a 12 yard gain.
You can't touch that Terp— Testudo Times (@testudotimes) September 22, 2019
DJ Moore with his first touchdown of the season!pic.twitter.com/0wJIf2BOig
In a surprising performance, Stefon Diggs wasn’t able to take advantage of the Raiders weak secondary and recorded another tough stat line in the early stages of the season.
The star receiver hauled in three catches for 15 yards on three targets. Through three games, Diggs has only been targeted 10 times and has six catches for 101 yards and one touchdown. The Vikings seem to favoring the run so far this season and have been making Adam Thielen their top wide receiver target, which will definitely be something to keep an eye on.
Off the field, Diggs warmed the hearts of Vikings fans and NFL fans by having a pregame catch and hanging out with Brooke Poggensee, a 12 year old Make a Wish child whose wish was to meet Diggs.
Her @MakeAWish was to meet her favorite player @stefondiggs.— ESPN (@espn) September 22, 2019
The @Vikings made her dream come true. (via @NFL) pic.twitter.com/4Ycxn0yRot
Here’s to my girl Brooke, I’ll never take my bracelet off. Stay strong lil lady ♥️ pic.twitter.com/1yGo72E2nq— DIGGS (@stefondiggs) September 23, 2019
Other Terps in Action
- Yannick Ngakoue returned to action in a Thursday Night Football win over the Titans after a hamstring injury forced him to miss Week 2. He recorded four totals tackles in a solid performance.
- Vernon Davis recorded two catches for 30 yards on four targets during the Redskins 28-15 loss to the Bears Monday. Davis tried to recreate his magic from Week 1 by attempting a hurdle to gain some extra yards, but it didn’t go very well this time around.
Prince Amukamara was ready for Vernon Davis’ hurdle attempt #BearsVsRedskins pic.twitter.com/Z0VydZtFgH— Sports Gifs & Videos (@Supreme_gifs) September 24, 2019
- JC Jackson and Byron Cowart both took on the Jets Sunday as the Patriots came away victorious 30-14. Both Jackson and Cowart were active, but didn’t record any defensive statistics.
- Ty Johnson carried the ball four times for five yards and also recorded a catch that gained no yards for Lions in their 27-24 win over the Eagles.
- Quinton Jefferson followed up his quiet Week 2 performance will a solid showing in the Seahawks loss to the Saints 33-27, recording two tackles and two quarterback hits.
- Jermaine Carter Jr. was used primarily on special teams and didn’t record any defensive statistics this week for the Panthers in their 38-20 win over the Cardinals.
- Josh Woods was once again a healthy scratch for the Bears.
Tune in every week to the Terps in the Pros podcast to hear more about all the NFL Terps and other former Terps in professional sports.