Since coming back from injury, Darnell Savage had been relatively quiet for the Packers — at least given how hot he started the season. That all changed Sunday when Savage recorded his second interception of his career early in the fourth quarter.
Savage didn’t exactly do anything special on this play, but he was in the right place at the right time to pick off a poor pass from Daniel Jones. The former Terp finished the day with four tackles, one interception and one pass defended in the Packers 31-13 blowout of the Giants.
The 2019 first round pick now ranks 11th in tackles for all rookies in the NFL. This ranking would surely be higher if Savage did not miss time with an ankle injury earlier in the season. Savage is also now tied with a large group of other rookies for the lead in interceptions with two total.
The Packers defense has been up and down all season long but looked strong again against a much inferior Giants team. And Savage played a key role.
Other Standout Performers
Although the Panthers season continues to slip away from them, DJ Moore has become one of the best young receivers in the league. Moore recorded six catches for 75 yards and also caught his fourth touchdown of the season in Carolina’s 29-21 loss to the Redskins.
Moore continued to dominate the receiving game by, putting up 75 yards on six receptions, and he has now recorded touchdowns in the past two games. The former Terp now ranks fourth in the NFL in receiving yards (980, 13.2 per reception) and looks well on his way to making the Pro Bowl.
Other Terps in Action
- After recording four sacks in his past four games, Yannick Ngakoue came back down to earth for the Jaguars in their 28-11 loss to the Bucs. Ngakoue recorded just two tackles, one of which was for a loss.
- Stefon Diggs was held in check during the Vikings 37-30 loss to the Seahawks on Monday Night Football. Diggs recorded just four receptions for 25 yards. He also had a nice rush for 27 yards at the start of the game.
- JC Jackson had a fairly quiet game during the Patriots 28-22 loss to the Texans on Sunday Night Football. The second year pro only recorded one tackle and one quarterback hit as the vaunted Patriots defense put together one of their worst performances of the season.
- Quinton Jefferson was active for the Seahawks during their 37-30 win over the Vikings but did not record any defensive statistics.
- Jermaine Carter Jr. had his best game in a while for the Panthers during their shocking 29-21 loss to the Redskins at home. Carter recorded three tackles and made an incredible onside kick recovery during the team’s comeback attempt.
- Ty Johnson was held in check during the Lions 24-20 loss on Thanksgiving. The rookie had just three rushes for 12 yards and three catches for 17 yards.
- Trey Edmunds did not have any rushes and played primarily at fullback and on special teams during the Steelers 20-13 win over the Browns.
- Josh Woods was active for the Bears but did not record any statistics during the team’s 24-20 win over the Lions.
- Byron Cowart was inactive for the Patriots with a head injury.
- Vernon Davis was placed on the IR last week for the Redskins and Sean Davis remains on the IR for the Steelers.
Tune in every week to the Terps in the Pros Podcast to hear more about all the NFL Terps and other former Terps in professional sports and follow our new Testudo Times Podcast Network Twitter account to hear more about some really awesome podcasts.