JC Jackson continued to take his game to the next level in the Patriots 34-13 win over the Bengals this past Sunday.
Jackson recorded an interception for the second consecutive week in the victory, also adding his second two interception performance of the 2019 season. Jackson’s final line for the day included two interceptions, three tackles and three pass deflections.
Jackson ended the day having only let up four catches for 29 yards. He received some nice praise from his teammates, including Stephon Gilmore.
“He has the best ball skills I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a lot of corners,” Gilmore told reporters after Sunday’s win. “He plays the ball as good as anybody.”
Here was his second pick of the game. pic.twitter.com/QzwzDKJLGL— Jordan Gold (@Jordan_Gold0) December 16, 2019
The Patriots defense has been dominant all season long, and Jackson has been a big reason for their success. The former undrafted free agent in 2018 has now developed into one of the best young cornerbacks in the league and one of the most underrated players in the NFL, currently tied for third in interceptions with five on the season.
Other Standout Performers
During the Raiders’ final game in Oakland against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Yannick Ngakoue had an all-around dominant performance en route to a 20-16 win. Ngakoue recorded two sacks, four tackles for loss, one pass deflected and five total tackles during the game.
While Ngakoue’s future in Jacksonville may be up in the air with his contract up at the end of the season, one thing that is certain is that he’s one of the best pass rushers in the league and will be heavily sought after.
DJ Moore continued to light the NFL on fire with another strong showing in the Panthers 30-24 loss to the Seahawks. He recorded eight catches for 113 yards on 12 targets, while also adding one rush for 10 yards.
Moore jumped to third in the NFL in receiving yards with 1,174, and he has a chance to finish second in the league now with the recent injury to Chris Godwin, who is currently second with 1,333. Moore may have an uphill battle though as Kyle Allen will no longer be the starter in Carolina, and rookie Will Grier reportedly taking over.
Stefon Diggs had another nice game in the Vikings 39-10 rout of the Chargers. He recorded four catches for 76 yards on six targets. His longest catch of the day was a 46-yard reception.
Diggs also passed the 1,000-yard mark for the second straight season and the second time in his career. Diggs currently ranks ninth in the NFL in terms of receiving yards with 1,073, after shaking off a really slow start to his 2019 campaign.
He also continued to dominate the cleat game in the NFL.
Other Terps in Action
- Darnell Savage had a solid performance against the Bears in a 21-13 win, recording four tackles and deflecting one pass.
- Quinton Jefferson recorded just two tackles in the Seahawks 30-24 win over the Panthers.
- Ty Johnson had another tough game in the Lions 38-17 loss to the Bucs. He recorded just two rushes for three yards and had four catches for 17 yards.
- Trey Edmunds did not record any statistics on offense or special teams during the Steelers 17-10 loss to the Bills on Sunday Night Football. However, he and his family made history for different reasons. Trey and his brothers, Tremaine (Bills) and Terrell (Steelers), became the first three brothers to play on the same field since 1927.
Bills linebacker Tremaine Edmunds poses with his brothers, Steelers safety Terrell Edmunds and running back Trey Edmunds after their game Sunday at Heinz Field. pic.twitter.com/EzOcul8qtJ— Matt Freed (@mattfreedpghpg) December 16, 2019
- Jermaine Carter Jr. had one tackle during the Panthers 30-24 loss to Seahawks.
- Josh Woods had one tackle during the Bears 21-13 loss to the Packers. It has been encouraging to see Woods active and playing over the past few weeks, as he spent much of the start of the season as a healthy scratch.
- Byron Cowart was inactive for the Patriots.
- Vernon Davis was placed on the IR a few weeks ago for the Redskins and Sean Davis remains on the IR for the Steelers.
Tune in every week to the Terps in the Pros Podcast to hear more about all the NFL Terps and other former Terps in professional sports and follow our new Testudo Times Podcast Network Twitter account to hear more about some really awesome podcasts.