clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

A roundup of facts in light of new reports on the day Jordan McNair was hospitalized

This is the Maryland Minute, a short story followed by a roundup of Terps-related news.

Editor’s note: The timeline has been updated to avoid confusion regarding when McNair became ill and the time that elapsed between then and when Maryland personnel called an ambulance.

Multiple reports were released Thursday relating to different aspects of the fallout from Jordan McNair’s death in June.

The Diamondback, Maryland’s independent student newspaper, published a rough timeline of events that suggests that “medical personnel did not immediately recognize the severity of McNair’s condition” on the day he became ill.

The Baltimore Sun published an article containing the recordings of the 911 calls.

Based on the new information revealed in the two articles, this is the timeline on May 29 as it’s currently known:

  • 4:15 p.m. — Workouts begin; team does 15-20 minutes of dynamic workout.
  • Approximately 4:30-4:35 p.m. — Conditioning tests consisting of 10 110-yard sprints begins.
  • After conditioning (time undisclosed) — Training staff notices McNair was having some difficulty recovering upon completion of the tests; training staff takes McNair inside football team house for “further observation and continued treatment.”
  • 5:57 p.m. — 911 is called, unidentified caller reports that McNair is “hyperventilating” and “unable to control his breath.”
  • 6:02 p.m. — Ambulance arrives with first-responders.
  • Approximately 6:07 p.m. — A first responder relays to dispatchers that there is a “male patient with seizure.”
  • 6:08 p.m. — A paramedic crew is on its way to the scene.
  • 6:36 p.m. — McNair arrives at Washington Adventist Hospital, in Takoma Park, per the county’s report.
  • Later that night — McNair is airlifted to R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

Last week, the McNair family launched a website and foundation saying that McNair’s death was the result of a heatstroke. The Diamondback’s report is the first mention of a seizure, which can be caused by a heatstroke. Further reporting illustrates sources that indicate that heatstroke is only fatal when it isn’t properly treated.

The University has released its own running recap of the external review into McNair’s death. That review, conducted by Walters Inc., could take up to 90 days to conclude.

On another front, The Washington Post reported that the McNair family has hired the Baltimore law firm that represented the family of Freddie Gray, who died in 2015 after he was injured in police custody. From The Post:

Attorney Billy Murphy said in an interview that McNair’s family is exploring its legal options. “We’re in the process of doing a thorough investigation of the incident,” he said. “We are waiting for the receipt of the medical records involved and the University of Maryland’s investigation and the interviews with those who saw what happened.”

Murphy, sitting next to his colleague Malcolm P. Ruff., added: “We are hard at work determining the appropriate legal remedy for the family for this tragic injury and death.”

Later in the article, one of the family’s attorneys claimed that the day McNair became ill was the hottest day of the year to that point. This is not true. The high was 83 degrees on May 29. There were 20 days in 2018 in which the daily high was 83 degrees or warmer, including 14 days earlier that month.

There are still a lot of moving parts around this case, and there may only be more before we get some clarity. But for now, it does not yet appear that there’s a clear example of negligence on Maryland’s part.

In other news

Our Maryland in the Big Ten retrospective series continued Thursday with a look at the Terps’ two revenue sports.

Voting for the best small forward in Maryland history is still open, but this one has already been decided.

Defensive Tackles Week continued with almost 1,000 pounds of human.

Thursday was picture day for the football team, and it seems like there are some minor changes to the team’s uniforms. There’s even a new No. 1, but it’s still a DJ.