Welcome back to ouTTakes, a podcast that’s here to discuss Maryland sports from an inside perspective. Our goal of the podcast is to shine a different light on Terps sport figures and allow you to get to know them as people.
This time, Lila Bromberg and Matt Levine were joined by the former Maryland men’s basketball point guard and current George Mason assistant coach, Duane Simpkins.
On this episode:
- Simpkins discusses his career at DeMatha Catholic High School and his time playing under legendary coach Morgan Wootten.
- He talks about the basketball scene in the DMV area.
- What led Simpkins to choose to play at Maryland?
- He tells a special story about coach Gary Williams.
- Simpkins talks about some of his Maryland teammates, like Johnny Rhodes and Joe Smith.
- He breaks down some of the biggest games of his college career.
- What has Simpkins taken away from Wootten and Williams that he now uses as an assistant coach at Goerge Mason University?
- Simpkins weighs in on the current landscape of college basketball.
Make sure to follow our Testudo Times Podcast Network Twitter account here for exclusive podcast content.
You can find every episode of the Testudo Times Podcast on iTunes here, Spotify here and MegaPhone here. If you’re into these things, rating and subscribing will help the podcast grow, and that’s always a good thing.