Welcome to Back with the Squad, a series where we reunite past Maryland teams over video chat.
On the third episode, Lila Bromberg reunites the 2003-04 men’s basketball team, which shocked the world by beating Duke for the 2004 ACC Championship, despite coming into the tournament as the No. 6-seed. These Terps knocked off seven ranked opponents, including No. 1 Florida on the road, en route to the program’s 11th consecutive NCAA Tournament. They defeated UTEP in the first round but had their year ended by reigning champion Syracuse in the Round of 32.
Get an inside perspective on the season from head coach Gary Williams, John Gilchrist, Jamar Smith, Nik Caner-Medley, D.J. Strawberry, Travis Garrison and Andre Collins.
On this episode:
- How did Williams arrive at Midnight Madness in style?
- What challenges came with being such a young team?
- How were these Terps overlooked throughout the season?
- How did John Gilchrist pull off his ACC tournament MVP performance?
- Who were the toughest players to face?
- The group dives into the biggest games of the season, including the ACC tournament run.
- What did it mean to be crowned ACC Champions?
- We end with a fun segment of “Most Likely To”