No. 3 Maryland men’s basketball will look to improve to 10-0 this Saturday when it hosts Illinois in its Big Ten opener.
The Terps most recently secured their first win as a member of the Big Ten in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge against Notre Dame Wednesday night. Sophomore Jalen Smith scored 15 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and blocked five shots, while fellow sophomores Eric Ayala and Aaron Wiggins each showed off their bounce with two thunderous slams.
After shutting down Markus Howard and Marquette to win the Orlando Invitational last weekend, the Terps continued their strong defense against major-conference programs, limiting the Fighting Irish to 51 points.
Maryland is also off to their best start since the 1998-99 season and will look to continue to prove to be one of the top teams in the nation against the Fighting Illini this weekend.
This will be the 16th meeting between the Big Ten foes, with their last meeting taking place last year at Madison Square Garden, where Illinois pulled off the upset against then-No. 13 Maryland.
The game will be televised on ESPN2 and will tip off at 5 p.m. ET.
Maryland: 9-0 (0-0 Big Ten)
Illinois: 6-2 (0-0 Big Ten)
All-time series: Maryland leads 9-6
Odds: Maryland -11, O/U 146 (as of Friday night)
How to watch and listen
Saturday, Dec. 7th, 5:00 p.m. (EST), Xfinity Center, College Park
TV: ESPN2 (Jason Benetti; play-by-play, Dan Dakich; analyst)
Radio: 105.7 FM (Balt.) / 980 AM (DC), TuneIn Radio App, XM 195, Sirius 135 (Johnny Holliday, Walt Williams and Chris Knoche)
Catch up before the game
- No. 3 Maryland men’s basketball vs Illinois preview
- Here’s what the world looked like the last time Maryland men’s basketball was 9-0
- Aaron Wiggins gives No. 3 Maryland men’s basketball energy boost in 72-51 win over Notre Dame
- TT Court Vision: Jalen Smith and Aaron Wiggins bring it on both ends as No. 3 Terps crush Notre Dame
- Three takeaways from No. 3 Maryland men’s basketball’s 72-51 win over Notre Dame
- Anthony Cowan Jr. named to Oscar Robertson Trophy watch list
- Photo gallery: No. 3 Maryland men’s basketball knocks off Notre Dame, 72-51