Maryland basketball tweeted out this picture of a box at noon on Selection Sunday.
What could possibly be in this Under Armour box? Maryland found out it’s a No. 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament, but the box remained unopened — at least publicly. We had some guesses Sunday afternoon:
- Is it 7 seeds? — Thomas Kendziora
- Jared Nickens and Jaylen Brantley are just gonna jump out and do the running man — Jared Goldstein
- It’s a life-size replica of whichever stadium Maryland will be playing its first tournament game in. Kevin Plank’s got connections, and had it made in advance. — Ryan Connors
- It's gonna be a singer to serenade Melo Trimble for no reason — Thomas Kendziora
- New Big Ten refs — Matt Ellentuck
- A win over Northwestern? - Lamar Johnson
Our friends Ben and Ashley were on the right track.
@testudotimes tournament unis that they'll probably release pics of after we get our seeding— Ashley Marquardt (@aemarquardt) March 12, 2017
Our friends on Twitter had guesses too:
@testudotimes In the words of "Ren and Stimpy", "Maybe something good"— Chris Foster (@ChrisFoster812) March 12, 2017
maryland using the ark of the covenant at the NCAA tournament is a game changer pic.twitter.com/HgMUvTxrGS— nick (@nick_pants) March 12, 2017
And the obligatory Seven reference:
Update 11:30 p.m.: Notre Dame got a similar box, and it contained shoes.
Update 11:30 a.m.: Maryland got nice new shoes, too!