The 74th season of the NBA tipped off Tuesday night, but Wednesday night is when former Terps will finally get into action.
Jake Layman and the Minnesota Timberwolves kick off the year against the Brooklyn Nets Wednesday, while the Terplanta Hawks trio of Kevin Huerter, Bruno Fernando and Alex Len will get things started against the Detroit Pistons on Thursday.
We had a special guest on this episode, as Chris Kirschner, who is the beat writer of the Hawks for The Athletic, called in to give some inside info on how the Terps are faring down south.
Lila Bromberg, Jordan Gold and I preview the upcoming NBA season for every former Terp in the league. We discuss the potential for each player, including how many minutes they might see, what kind of stat line we can expect and how what strengths they’ll bring to their teams.
Kirschner gives some inside scoop and answers some of the burning questions surrounding each member of the Terplanta Hawks based on his day-to-day interactions with the team. And to wrap things up, we talk about the rise of Maryland players in the NBA and the progression the program has taken and could continue to take in the near future in terms of that type of talent.
Here we discuss:
- What former Terp has the biggest impact on the Hawks this season?
- What is Kevin Huerter’s health status?
- What is the ceiling for Huerter this season?
- What kind of role will Bruno Fernando have in his rookie season?
- Does Alex Len make a big jump?
- Do the Hawks make the NBA Playoffs?
- How does Jake Layman fit in with the Timberwolves?
- Will Layman start and does he become more of a star player?
- Is there more Terp talent in the NBA than we've seen in a long time?
- Is the amount of Maryland players in the NBA on the rise? What could that look like five years from now?
You can find every episode of the Terps in the Pros Podcast on iTunes here, Spotify here and MegaPhone here. If you’re into these things, rating and subscribing will help the podcast grow, and that’s always a good thing.