Former Maryland football players fared well in Week 5 of the NFL season. Most notably, Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Yannick Ngakoue recorded his first two sacks of the year, one being a strip sack, against the Carolina Panthers. Green Bay Packers safety Darnell Savage was forced to leave the game after suffering a lower leg injury, but it appears to not be serious, according to RotoWorld.
But there is still a lot of drama surrounding wide receiver Stefon Diggs. The Minnesota Vikings failed to utilize him successfully, again. During the postgame press conference, Diggs was asked if he wants to play for the Vikings.
Stefon Diggs winked at the camera after saying he wants to be in Minnesota— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) October 7, 2019
The NBA kicked off preseason play this week, with the Terplanta Hawks trio of Kevin Hurter, Alex Len and Bruno Fernando, as well as Jake Layman on the Minnesota Timberwolves. In the WNBA, the Washington Mystics and Connecticut Sun are tied at two games each in the WNBA Finals, with the deciding Game 5 taking place in Washington on Thursday night.
Jordan Gold and I recap Week 5 of the NFL season and how former Terps performed. We give our opinions on which Maryland alum is standing out the most in the NFL, as well as who will have the best performance in Week 6. Then we discuss the start of the NBA season for former Terps.
We also dive into WNBA Finals action and talk about former Maryland women’s basketball players’ success in the WNBA, as well as a glimpse at the MLB Postseason for Adam Kolarek and Brandon Lowe. Here’s what we discuss:
- Is Yannick Ngakoue going to continue to perform well in his contract year?
- Is the Stefon Diggs era in Minnesota coming to an end?
- What has been the reason for DJ Moore’s success without Cam Newton?
- How can DJ Moore be successful without Cam Newton at quarterback?
- How did Bruno Fernando and the Terplanta Hawks look in their first two games of the NBA preseason?
- Which former Terps are in the WNBA Finals? How are they doing?
- Which former Terps are/were in the MLB Postseason? How are they doing?
- Who will be the standout Terp in Week 6 of the NFL?
Week 6 of the NFL season gets underway Thursday night, as JC Jackson and the New England Patriots host the New York Giants. Game 5 of the WNBA Finals between the Washington Mystics and the Connecticut Suns is Thursday night. Tip off is at 8 p.m. ET. in Washington DC.
You can find every episode of the Testudo Times Podcast on iTunes here, Spotify here and MegaPhone here. If you’re into these things, rating and subscribing will help the podcast grow, and that’s always a good thing.