clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland men’s soccer vs. Penn State final score, with 3 things to know from the Terps’ 3-2 win

Gordon Wild’s golden goal won it for Maryland in extra time.

Amar Sejdic.
Matthew Regan

The No. 4 Maryland men’s soccer team waited until late to nab a come-from-behind 3-2 victory against Penn State on Sunday night.

Gordon Wild, the Big Ten’s leading scorer, tucked away the game-winning goal six minutes into the first overtime period to give the Terps their fifth win of the year. D.J. Reeves registered the assist.

The Terps finished the game with 14 shots (seven on goal) to Penn State’s two (two on goal). They also led on corners, 11-0.

Both teams played defensively in the first half, but the Terps still went into halftime with four shots, zero on goal. The Nittany Lions didn’t have any shots in the first 45 minutes, but they did have the best chance of the half when sophomore forward Dayonn Harris broke through Maryland’s defense. Cody Niedermeier rushed out, however, and managed to throw Harris off just in time for him to lose control of the ball.

Maryland’s Cody Albrecht also had a great chance in the first half, after Jorge Calix’s corner found his feet with his back towards goal, but Penn State goalkeeper Arie Ammann scooped up the ball before the midfielder had a chance to do anything.

The start of the second half saw both teams pushing forward more. Donovan Pines almost scored for the Terps two minutes in, but Ammann did well to rise up and tip the ball over the crossbar. A few minutes later, Sebastian Elney found Jake Rozhansky making a run at the right edge of the penalty box, but the midfielder struck wide of the post.

Dayonn Harris scored the first goal of the game in the 57th minute, putting the Nittany Lions up 1-0. A long ball found Harris wide open on the right flank, and the forward slotted the ball through Niedermeier’s legs, capitalizing on some poor defending from the Terps.

With twenty minutes left to play, the Terps were given a penalty after Reeves was brought down in the box by Penn State midfielder Cameron Steele, and Amar Sejdic calmly equalized for Maryland.

Harris gave the Nittany Lions the lead again with ten minutes left in regulation, splitting Maryland’s centerbacks and rounding the keeper to tuck the ball away.

In the 84th minute, the Terps were again awarded a penalty, as Penn State’s Mitchel Bringolf brought Reeves down at the very edge of the box. Wild, Maryland’s usual penalty taker, stepped up this time and equalized again to force overtime for a third straight game.

In the first overtime, Reeves made a darting run from the endline into the penalty area to find Wild drifting in from the other side. Reeves’ low, driven pass found the forward in time for him to side-foot the shot past the keeper.

The Nittany Lions were unlucky to not come away from this game with at least a point, but as the commentators said, “the beautiful game is not always fair.”

Three things to know

  1. We saw the return of “The Fortress.In similar fashion to the Rutgers game, freshman Donovan Pines came on to replace Diego Silva, and Suli Dainkeh was shifted out wide. The commentators were quick to note how rare a 6’5 centerback pairing is; it looks like Sasho will be using more of Pines as the season goes on.
  2. Tonight’s unsung hero: D.J. Reeves. The reserve player already has four assists on the year and won both penalties for Maryland, so one could argue that he technically provided three assists tonight.
  3. You already know who I’m going to talk about. Gordon Wild was on the scoresheet again tonight, scoring his seventh and eighth for the Terps. While he started slowly, his impact on the game started to show in the second half. After all, it was his long ball that found Reeves before Maryland’s second penalty was awarded.