clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland women’s soccer vs. Gardner-Webb final score, with 3 things to know from the Terps’ 1-1 tie

A rainy, delayed game finished in a tie.


In a long and rainy afternoon, Maryland women’s soccer tied with Gardner-Webb 1-1.

The Terps once again came out aggressive and put up three shots on goal early, but didn’t score until the 40th minute when Chelsea Jackson put in a cross from Kady Badham. It was Jackson’s second goal of the season, and she has scored in both of the Terps games this season.

Gardner-Webb answered back in the second half. After Maryland got a few looks, the Bulldogs tied it up on a goal from Jessica Ferguson. Both teams had chances in extra time, but couldn’t come up with a goal. The game almost ended when Madison Turner had a look at the goal but put it wide.

Maryland out-shot Gardner-Webb 4-1 in the first half, but both teams ended up having 15 shots. After committing 10 fouls last game Maryland was even more physical today, committing 14 fouls compared to Gardner-Webb’s 5. Maryland again went with two goalies, as Katelyn Jensen started the first half and Rachel Egyed played in the second half and overtime.

Maryland started attacking early, getting off three shots in the first 11 minutes. Gardner-Webb goalie Keely Brown deflected a shot from Jackson in the third minute, blocked a Flippens header in the sixth, and saved a shot from Jarena Harmon in the 11th minute.

Gardner-Webb also had a few chances, but many weren’t hard and Jensen was just able to pick them up. The Bulldogs best chance came in the 12th minute when freshman Stina Kleppe’s shot went wide and was picked up by Jensen.

After Jackson had another shot deflected by Brown, she put in a cross from Badham from point blank range.

The forecast was calling for rain, and after a light rain in the first half it started to downpour at halftime, and the game was delayed 45 minutes.

Maryland continued to attack in the second half, as Brown saved a shot from Jarena Harmon and Turner put a shot over the net in the 60th minute. After the Terps initial push, Gardner-Webb started to get some momentum, and Ferguson scored to tie the game in the 73rd minute. They had another chance to score in the 81st minute but Stina Kleppe’s shot went wide.

Maryland had some chances late in the second half, but Lisa Bianchini had a shot saved and one go wide in the final five minutes.

In extra time, Maryland had plenty of opportunities early. Bianchini put a shot and a corner wide, and Harmon failed on a breakaway right in front of the goalie. They also failed to convert two corners.

After Maryland couldn’t score, Gardner-Webb failed on a corner, and Eline Glamsland had a shot that just bounced off the top of the goal.

In the second extra time, both teams had one good shot, with Turner putting the ball just wide of the goal with under two minutes remaining.

Three things to know

  1. It was a long day in College Park: The game was delayed over an hour because of an officiating delay, and another forty five minutes at halftime due to inclement weather. The final horn didn’t sound until close to 5:30.
  2. Chelsea Jackson continues to make an impact: It hasn’t taken the Oklahoma transfer a while to adjust to Maryland. She’s scored both of the Terps goals this season and should be an option on offense going forward.
  3. Another goalie for Maryland: Katelyn Jensen, Maryland’s other goalie, made her season debut today. She wasn’t challenged a lot in goal, but came out to make a few saves when needed.