clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Trevon Diggs is crucial to Maryland football's future

New, 45 comments

Diggs is key to Maryland's secondary even existing in 2018 and beyond.

Student Sports Photos

Four-star quarterback Dwayne Haskins listed 20 recruits he wants to bring with him to Maryland. Trevon Diggs may be the most important man on that list.

The four-star athlete from the Avalon School (Md.) is the third-ranked recruit in Maryland and the fifth-ranked athlete in the country in the class of 2016, according to the 247Sports Composite.

The younger brother of former Terps wide receiver Stefon Diggs is listed as an athlete, but is expected to play cornerback in college and could also return kicks, a role similar to Will Likely's current one with the team.

While Haskins is a program-changing and maybe job-saving recruit for Randy Edsall, the team will only go so far if it can't defend the pass.

Maryland's pass defense should be a strength for the team in 2015, according to SB Nation's stat expert Bill Connelly. The Terrapins' depth dissipates soon after, and Diggs would likely challenge for a starting cornerback spot opposite Will Likely his freshman year. But the real impact of his commitment would be seen a few years down the road.

Right now, 2018's defensive back class only includes incoming freshman Darnell Savage and 2016 commits Travon Stott and Mike Viti. Many players won't be ready to contribute as freshmen, so Edsall can't afford to rely on many members of the class of 2017 and 2018 to see significant minutes during their first two seasons. Having Diggs on the team will enable the coaching staff to bring those players along at whatever pace best suits their development, and will allow the team to have a steady stream of mature upperclassmen who can contribute each year.

If he lives up to his potential, Diggs could be the Will Likely of that group - a star player who records interceptions and also makes an impact on special teams.

Diggs is set to announce his commitment July 4. He has offers from 21 schools, including Alabama, LSU, Penn State and Tennessee, but signs are looking good for the Terrapins. 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction says there is an 89 percent chance he commits to Maryland and and 11 percent chance he commits to Alabama.

Haskins and Diggs are friends, and Haskins has previously said that he and Diggs are a "package deal."

Check out Diggs's highlight video from this past year. It features him at corner, receiver and kick returner.