The seeds, dates, times and bracket have been released for the 2015 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Tournament. The big stories coming in were who would take the No. 1 seed (Syracuse or Notre Dame), would Maryland keep its home game, and who would be the final teams in among Georgetown, Ohio State, Princeton and Brown? All those questions and more were answered. Here's the schedule:
Towson vs. High Point (Wednesday, May 6)
Marist vs. Bryant (Wednesday, May 6)
No. 1 Notre Dame vs Towson/High Point (Saturday, May 9, 5 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 8 Cornell vs Albany (Saturday, May 9, 12 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 4 Denver vs Brown (Sunday, May 10, 3 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 5 Duke vs Ohio State (Saturday, May 9, 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 3 North Carolina vs Colgate (Sunday, May 10, 5:15 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 6 Maryland vs Yale (Saturday, May 9, 2:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 7 Virginia vs Johns Hopkins (Sunday, May 10, 1 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
No. 2 Syracuse vs Marist/Bryant (Sunday, May 10, 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Notre Dame/Play-In vs Cornell/Albany (Saturday, May 16, ESPNU from Denver)
Denver/Brown vs Duke/Ohio State (Saturday, May 16, ESPNU from Denver)
North Carolina/Colgate vs Maryland/Yale (Sunday, May 17, ESPNU from Annapolis, Md.)
Syracuse/Play In vs Virginia/Johns Hopkins (Sunday, May 17, ESPNU from Annapolis, Md.)
Semi Final #1: (Saturday, May 23, 1 p.m. ET, ESPNU from Philadelphia)
Semi Final #2: (Saturday, May 23, 3:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU from Philadelphia)
Monday, May 25, 1 p.m. ET, ESPN2 from Philadelphia
- The No. 1 seed was really close between Notre Dame and Syracuse. The Orange perhaps should've gotten the edge because of the ACC Tournament win, but I can't fault the committee.
- Cornell had a vastly superior SOS and beat Albany head-to-head. That's why Cornell probably deserved the last seed over the Great Danes. But I wouldn't be surprised if Lyle Thompson did his thing and Albany steamrolled Big Red.
- Maryland had a poor end to the season. Very poor. But if Maryland had won out they probably are the No. 4 seed. Playing Denver in a Quarterfinal. In Denver. That's where seasons go to die. Yale's a tough match-up but if Maryland wins they get a Quarterfinal in Annapolis.
- Johns Hopkins really shouldn't be playing the 7th seed Virginia. The seeding doesn't exactly go by a ranking, it's not like Hopkins was the 2nd best unseeded team. But it's still a good match-up for a team that's resume is average, really.
- Syracuse in the final game of the 1st Round on Sunday night? I am shocked.
- With regard to the bubble. I thought Ohio State would get in. Did they deserve too? I'm not sure. They definitely had a lot better wins than Georgetown, but their SOS and RPI were worse and they also had some awful losses. I'm not sure Ohio State deserved a spot over Princeton either. SOS better for PU, similar RPI and some good wins. And while Princeton had some tough losses...not as bad as OSU. I was shocked that Brown got in. I thought they were clearly the 4th team among the group of bubble teams. But they're an incredibly fun team to watch. They'll make their time in the tournament worthwhile.