clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland Men's Lacrosse: Terps collapse, lose to Hopkins 15-12.

Maryland and Johns Hopkins renewed the greatest rivalry in the sport at Byrd Stadium.

Matt Cashore-USA TODAY Sports

When Maryland and Johns Hopkins meet, there's always something big at stake. Bragging rights in the biggest rivalry the sport knows, NCAA tournament positioning, and more. But even more was on the line tonight. The #1 seed in the Big Ten Tournament. If Maryland won they would take the outright Regular Season title and would play Penn State next Thursday. If the Blue Jays won they'd share the title, but JHU would get the #1 seed. It was Hopkins who once again pulled the upset, using a dominant 4th Quarter to surge past Maryland and win for the 3rd straight year.

First Quarter

The good news began off the bat for the Terps. Charlie Raffa was at the face-off X and won the opening draw. Maryland got a quality look to start after a strong drive to the cage by Jay Carlson. Carlson's momentum was halted after he slipped on the wet turf - lots of rain this evening - and his shot was saved by Eric Schneider. The defense came up strong on their opening stand though, as they forced a turnover. And after some patient play to start their 2nd possession they got on the board first after a strong bull dodge and finish by Matt Rambo.

JHU was called for an illegal body check after the Terps got the ensuing face-off, which sent UMD to a 30 second man-up opportunity. They cashed in on the chance, with Matt Rambo rifling a lefty shot past Schneider to make it 2-0.

At 9:51 of the first Johns Hopkins got on the board courtesy of freshmen midfielder Joel Tinney. But it wouldn't take long at all for Maryland to respond. Matt Neufeldt picked up a loose ground ball after the face-off and carried into the offensive zone. He flipped it behind to an on-rushing Terp who fed Carlson. Carlson bulged the back of the Blue Jay net to make it 3-1. Carlson got another goal on the next possession after a nice two man game play with Joe LoCascio. LoCascio cut into the middle of the field, drew a slide, and passed to Carlson who was in an identical spot for the 3rd goal and once again shot one past Schneider.

The back and forth nature of the 1st Quarter continued on Hopkins' next possession. John Crawley found room at the top for a step down shot and his shot just sneaked through the legs of Kyle Bernlohr and the backspin carried it over the line. Maryland garnered the next face-off win but wasn't able to successfully clear. This gave JHU an unsettled situation and they used it to their advantage as Joel Tinney drove down the right alley and stuck one post Bernlohr.

With 3:52 left the Terps stretched the lead back out to two after Joe LoCascio send an absolute rocket to the roof of the net. 5-3 Terps.

Both teams had chances towards the end of the quarter but neither was able to find the back of the net. After Q1, Maryland led Johns Hopkins 5-3.

2nd Quarter

After the offenses ruled the roost in the 1st, the defenses showed up to start the 2nd. Both teams turned it over on some of their opening possessions. Hopkins forced a shot clock violation on the Terps as well. At 9:55 we got our first goal of the quarter. After having no success dodging to the cage like he has so often against Maryland in his career in the 1st Quarter, Wells Stanwick did just that. It cut the UMD lead back to  one.

Only about 15 or so seconds after the Stanwick tally Maryland got another chance at the man-up. Charlie Raffa was leveled in a fight for a groundball after the face-off. The call was a high hit. Joe LoCascio's rocket of a right handed shot showed up once again and the Terps pushed the lead back to two.

But it didn't last. After keeping Ryan Brown quiet for the first quarter of the game, he found space at the top of the perimeter and you can't do that. He buried the biscuit and the lead was down to one again. And then the Brothers Stanwick went to work. Wells drove in from behind, shook free of his man, and fed his brother Shack in front for an easy goal. The game was tied for the first time with just over six minutes left in the half.

Thankfully LoCascio was there to respond. This time he used his left hand from the outside and with a side winding shot found the low corner to make it a 7-6 game.

With 44 seconds left in the half Maryland once again left Ryan Brown open up top. He scored again on a wicked bouncer. 7-7.

That would be all the scoring in the second. At half-time, Maryland 7-7 Hopkins.

Charlie Raffa did a decent job in his return. He started off hot but eventually started losing quite a few draws in a row to Hunter Moreland. The defense did a good job defending the pick game behind the cage but was getting shredded up top. On offense, the balanced attack Maryland has employed was working very well. Joe LoCascio led the way with three goals and Matt Rambo and Jay Carlson also had two.

Third Quarter

Maryland went man-up to start the 3rd after winning the face-off, but they threw it away and couldn't convert. The turnovers continued on the next two possessions for both teams. But after a miscommunication between Schneider and Tinney, Carlson came from behind and trail checked Schneider. This left the ball right on the floor for Heacock to pick up and he easily finished 1 v 1. 8-7 UMD.

But after Hopkins won the face-off, Ryan Brown did his thing again. He backed his defender down, used his body, and ripped one into the low corner after getting his hands free. However...Maryland wasn't going to lie down without punching back. Such was the nature of this game. The second line midfield got a run and after a nice split dodge, Bobby Gribbin bounced one past Schneider. This chased the goalie and led to Dave Pietramala putting in Will Ryan.

At 7:10 of the 3rd Casey Ikeda took a penalty for a high hit on Ryan Brown. This gave the Jays a one minute EMO. You don't want to do that. And what happened? Brown scored. Because that's what he does. 9-9. The scoring settled down for just a few minutes before it revved back up again. Joe LoCascio played feeder this time, finding Carlson in tight. After getting pressured by two defensemen Jay spun through the checks and whipped it home. The lead was back on the Terps side.

A late EMO presented itself for UMD, but they couldn't cash in.

After three, Maryland led Johns Hopkins 10-9.

Fourth Quarter

Hopkins scored first to start the 4th Quarter. You know who it was. Brown had space, you can't give him it, he stuck it in the middle of the net. 10-10. They then won the next face-off, Brown got in transition, and he scored again. Same spot. Low to high, in the corner. JHU led for the first time.

The Blue Jays kept on winning face-offs, and they kept on scoring goals. Holden Cattoni driving in from behind, finished topside, and made it 12-10. Three unanswered tallies in 1:56 had totally changed the complexion of the game. And it didn't stop. Another face-off, another goal. Brown blew past his man on the speed dodge and sneaked it past Bernlohr. It was a four goal run and a three goal lead for JHU. A loose ball foul was called on Maryland afterwards giving Hopkins an extra man.

The beginning of the 4th was an unequivocal disaster for Maryland. They couldn't win a face-off whatsoever in the second half and their defense was getting ripped apart in every way possible.

The lead grew more with 8:16 left. Brown drove towards the cage and despite his shot being deadened, Joel Tinney followed for an easy rebound. 14-10. Five in a row for Hopkins.

Hopkins won the game 15-12.

It's not hard to say. This was a complete and utter collapse by Maryland in the 4th. They had a one goal lead, we're going toe to toe on offense. And then they just fell apart on defense and their lack of any semblance of successful face-off play doomed them.

Maryland is the #2 seed in the Big Ten Tournament. They will play Ohio State on Thursday at Byrd Stadium.