clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Maryland Men's Lacrosse: Terps blast Michigan 13-4

New, comments

Maryland opened their Big Ten conference slate with a home game vs Michigan.

Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

The Big Ten conference slate started this weekend, with Johns Hopkins and Ohio State getting W's. The Terps looked to follow suit at home vs a Michigan team they beat comprehensively last season their inaugural conference game  . The result was similar today, with Maryland rolling past the Wolverines 13-4.

First Quarter

Maryland struck first 3:51 into the game, with Jay Carlson dodging and finding Connor Kelly open on the crease and the freshmen easily converted. 20 seconds later the Terps doubled their advantage. Short stick midfielder Isaiah Davis-Allen broke into the offensive zone in an unsettled situation and fired a shot past Gerald Logan in the Michigan cage.

Maryland's 3rd came late in the quarter and on a blistering break. After forcing a turnover on a stagnant Wolverines possession, Casey Ikeda cleared it by himself and pushed the ball in the offensive zone. With zero pressure put on him, he fed Matt Rambo who cranked a low to high shot to the roof of the net.

After one, it was Maryland 3-0 Michigan.

Second Quarter

Michigan won the opening face-off of the 2nd on a Charlie Raffa violation. The Wolverines promptly turned it over however. Maryland's following possession also resulted in a turnover as they couldn't find any open looks and eventually threw it away. A strong ride got them the ball back but eventually they once again turned it over.

The turnover-fest continued with the teams trading sloppy offensive possessions. Poor stick handling and loose passes was the theme of the second in the early going.

We finally got a true offensive possession about halfway through the quarter. Michigan got a few shots off but neither were very threatening. The Terps bailed them out though, with Mac Pons being called for a slash and sending Michigan to a 1 minute Extra Man Opportunity at 6:20 of the 2Q. It, unsurprisingly, ended up with the Wolverines throwing it away. UMD killed off the remaining of the penalty and then worked into their six on six offense.

They created two good looks from Dylan Maltz, one on the crease which was stopped by Logan, and another that followed a failed Michigan clear. That was also saved by Logan. The 4th goal of the game for the Terps finally came at 2:57 of the quarter. Matt Rambo received a pass and with no pressure drove in from the alley and finished in front of the cage.

Michigan got on the board with 1:06 left in the quarter, as Kyle Jackson received a feed inside and spun through a few Maryland defenders and calmly shot past Bernlohr.

That would be all the scoring in the 2nd. At half-time, Maryland led Michigan 4-1.

The Terps rotated a lot of different guys on offense, which perhaps prevented them from getting in a real rhythm. But they were also very sloppy and just not quick enough moving the ball. The defense was terrific as usual, putting them in a comfortable position at the break.

Third Quarter

Raffa won the opening face-off of the third. Maryland's possession was just one shot only, with Logan comfortably saving from Rambo. Michigan forced Kyle Bernlohr to make a couple saves on their opening possession of the 3rd. Bernlohr wasn't troubled by any of them.

The Terps went to their first EMO of the game at 10:20 as Maltz was tripped up. Maryland nicely set up a potential slam dunk on the doorstep but the pass couldn't quite be corralled by Bryan Cole. At 8:19 Maryland got their first tally of the quarter. Jay Carlson played a nice two man game with Bryan Cole, and then dodged from Goal Line Extended and stuck a shot in the far corner. After another face-off win, Maryland quickly broke in transition and in an unsettled situation, Joe LoCascio found himself wide open and he fired a rifle high past Logan. The onslaught wasn't over though. Raffa won the ensuing face-off and quickly fed Davis-Allen. The latter then broke into the offensive zone on his own and fired an absolute rocked from downtown. It was Davis-Allen's 2nd and the Terps 7th. A quick three goal blitz in just 29 seconds had completely blown the game open.

Maryland's 8th came in a more settled offensive situation. Matt Rambo notched his hat trick on a turnaround shot that trickled past Logan. Colin Heacock, who had been quiet after two terrific games against Carolina and Robert Morris, got his first a few minutes later. After latching on to a deflected pass he give his defender a little shimmy after the toe drag and ripped a shot high into the net. 9-1 Maryland.

Michigan finally got a goal in the 3rd with 3:10 left in the quarter after Jackson set him up nicely with a skip pass. Kraus was wide open in front to shoot into the far corner.

After an eventful quarter, Maryland led 9-2.

Fourth Quarter

Maryland's success on fastbreaks off of face-offs continued in the 4th. Long pole Matt Neufeldt picked up a groundball and drove all the way to the cage, then fired a low to high shot into the net.

Mike Francia got the 3rd for the Wolverines at 9:04. Kyle Jackson was involved again, feeding Francia in traffic and he whipped around and fired past Bernlohr.

Jay Carlson's 2nd of the night came in similar fashion to his first. More two man game, this time with Matt Rambo, and then he raced from behind the cage and fired a shot to the far corner.

The teams started rotating in various players down the bench in the final minutes. Maryland added two more tallies with Michigan adding one.

Final: Maryland 13-4 Michigan

The perfect start to Big Ten play for the Terps. Michigan is anywhere from the 4th-6th best team in the conference and well off Maryland's level, but UMD did exactly what they had to do.

The Terps are at home once again next Saturday, taking on Penn State.