clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland ties first B1G game vs Michigan

In the first B1G game for any sport, the Men's Soccer team came away from Ann Arbor with a 1-1 draw.

Entering the game with a pedestrian 1-2-1 record, Maryland looked to get their B1G campaign off with a victory against Michigan. It wasn't going to be an easy test, going on the road with a solid and rowdy Michigan crowd on hand, but we all know the potential of this Maryland team. They showed that potential by coming from behind, but they could only come away with a tie.

Note: There was no TV coverage for the game. So if my recap seems like it lacks detail, that's why.

First Half

The first 10 minutes was similar to what we've seen from most of Maryland's games to start this year. Rather timid and cagey. Spells of possession for both teams, but not much really happening. Maryland got the first corner of the match after 9 minutes but couldn't get anything from it. We would have to wait 5 minutes for our first shot, a high effort from Michigan's Will Mellors-Blair. The Terps got their first shot a few minutes after, a high effort from Mael Corboz. After more play that was restricted to the midfield, Michigan got something working around the 20 minute mark, putting in some dangerous crosses that tested Zach Steffen.

The theme of the contest in the 1st Half was physicality, which I guess makes sense considering #B1G and all, and there certainly weren't many chances to come by. The game remained in a lull for the next 10-15 minutes, with both coaches attempting some subs to liven up the game. After a dozen minutes between shots, Tyler Arnone had a decent chance for the Wolverines but his header went wide. And before the end, Sophomore Daniel Johnson had a solid effort for the Terps, shooting just wide.

That would be all the action from a physical, cagey, and rather dull first half.

Second Half

The opening minutes of the 2nd Half probably had more action than all of the first half. Michigan came out firing just two minutes into the first half. Michigan got 3 shots off in quick succession, including one that hit the crossbar. Maryland fans breathed a collected sigh of relief. Not long after Maryland tested Michigan goalie Adam Grinwis themselves, with an effor from Ambrose off a free kick, and then a high shot from George Campbell. Maryland kept up the pressure over the next 5-10 minutes, past the hour mark, with both Kabelik and Corboz having shots blocked. Maryland kept up the pressure, earning a corner and forcing the Michigan defense into a shell.

After Maryland's 5-10 minute spell of play, the game returned to it's physical, chippy nature with fouls on both sides. Then with 75 minutes gone, we finally got a breakthrough goal. Off a free kick, James Murphy headed home off a free kick to give Michigan a 1-0 lead.

The goal seemed to breathe new life into the Terps though, and they amped up the pressure with Korvah getting a shot off, and they also earned a corner. They had a few more dangerous chances off corners and crosses as well.Then in the 85th minute, Sasho Cirovski showed his coaching nous. He brought on David Kabelik for Suli Dainkeh. Then he made another sub bringing on Alex Crognale. The result? Crognale set up Kabelik and David got the game tying goal with just 22 seconds to play! 1-1!

We went to OT after a frantic final 15 minutes. Second Friday game in a row with OT for the Terps.


The Terps started off over-time how they ended the final 15 minutes of regulation, with Corboz blasting a shot from 30 yards out that was saved. Michigan countered well, and Arnone got an effort off for the Wolverines. The first OT, like the last quarter of the first half, was end to end, but neither team got many clear cut chances off. It ended 1-1.

Maryland stepped it up in the second OT, noticeably showing a different gear to what they had shown for the majority of the game, quickly taking control of the 2nd OT. They got a dangerous cross into the box, Chris Odoi-Atsem nearly set up Kabelik in behind, and then he just missed with a shot as well. Despite the chances they created, the Terps couldn't cash in, and they left Ann Arbor with a draw.

Final: Maryland 1-1 Michigan

This was encouraging. While Maryland is noticeably still trying to work into 3rd and 4th gear and often stuck in 1st and 2nd, they showed some good stuff. They were good in the 2nd Half, and great after going behind. It's also good to see that they were able to answer going behind and didn't get down and came back to snatch a draw. It was also away from home with a good Michigan crowd, so a draw isn't a bad result at all. They need to work on putting a full 90 minutes together, but positives were shown and good steps were taken.