clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland escapes Princeton with 8-7 win

After trailing for most of the game, the Terps got the game winner on a free position shot from Kelly McPartland with just a minute thirty-nine to play to eke out the victory.


Coming off their first loss of the season at North Carolina Saturday, the second ranked Maryland women's lacrosse team traveled to New Jersey to take on the 7-3 Princeton Tigers Wednesday night. The Tigers entered the game on a six game winning streak that came tpo a halt in a uncomfortably close 8-7 Terrapins win.

Princeton won the opening draw and held the ball for a minute and a half before Maryland's defense forced a turnover. Casey Pepperman picked up the ground ball and though the Terps cleared, they turned the ball back to the Tigers. The home team got off the first shot of the game but Terrapins' goalie Abby Clipp made the save.

The Tigers went back on the attack after the Terps turned the ball over yet again. And yet again, Clipp came up big in goal for Maryland. The Terps finally started to show some offensive rhythm but Halle Majorana's shot hit the post and Princeton goalie Annie Woehling made a save on a shot by Taylor Cummings. With 22:12 to play, it was Princeton that got on the board first on a score by Alexandra Bruno.

Beth Glaros controlled the draw for Maryland but the Terps failed to capitalize as Cummings' shot was blocked before reaching the goal and the Tigers regained possession. Once again, it was up to Clipp to serve as the last line of defense for Maryland and she picked up another save.

As the first ten minutes of the half ticked by, the Terps still found themselves unable to break through the Tigers defense and goalie Woehling.  After Majorana found the post with another shot Cummings was in position to pick up the ground ball and register the tying goal with 16:30 remaining.

Maryland's momentum was short lived as Princeton controlled the draw and scored less than a minute later to retake the lead. The energy stayed with the Tigers as they backed up their second score with a third and with 14:25 to play in the half the Terps were down 3-1. Cummings controlled the draw but once again, Woehling came up with the save this time on a shot by Kelly McPartland. However, this time the Terps were able to turn the Tigers over and again found a hot goalie in the path of a shot this time from Beth Glaros.

The hole became deeper when, with just over ten minutes remaining, Princeton scored again. The Terps narrowed the gap on their next possession. Cummings controlled the draw and McPartland scored on a free position. Though Maryland's defense caused a turnover after Princeton won the draw, Cummings again couldn't get her shot past Woehling.

On Princeton's possession another save by Clipp kept the Terps close but Maryland failed to clear. The teams exchanged turnovers in the middle of the field with the home team getting the last one and converting with fifteen seconds to play in the half. However, Beth Glaros controlled the draw and Brooke Griffin scored to cut the deficit to 5-3 and provide some momentum at intermission.

The second half began like the first with Princeton controlling the draw this time becoming even more deliberate maintaining possession for four and a half minutes before attempting a shot that Maryland blocked. After the clear, Cummings made a series of one on one moves weaving her way through the eight meter before netting the goal with 24:42 to play.

Cummings controlled the draw and a Princeton foul gave McPartland a free position. Once again, Woehling had the answer and the Tigers were able to clear and, with 21:22 to play, score to regain a two goal lead. The Terps needed just seventeen seconds to close within one. Zoe Stukenberg did the honors with the assist going to Cummings.

The pressure turned back to Maryland's defense when Princeton controlled the draw. Even with only a one goal lead the Tigers were content to hold the ball and run through their offense patiently eventually drawing a free position chance with just over seventeen minutes remaining. The Terps were issued two yellow cards but Clipp was able to bail Maryland out with a gereat save. Maryland was able to kill the penalties but failed to score on the release.

Princeton picked up a yellow card with 12:45 to play and Beth Glaros picked up the equalizer with 11:006 to play. Sensing the momentum shifting, Princeton called timeout. The timeout worked in slowing the Terps momentarily as the Tigers controlled the draw but Glaros caused a turnover and picked up the ground ball. Maryland capitalized taking their first lead of the game as Brooke Griffin notched the go ahead score.

Cummings controlled the draw again and the squads traded turnovers. Cummings tried to extend Maryland's lead but the Woehling remained hot in goal for Princeton and the Tigers regained possession with 6:21 knotting the score as the clock ticked under five minutes to play. The home team backed that up controlling the crucial draw.

The Terps defense stepped up and after another long Princeton possession, caused a turnover with Shanna Brady getting to the ground ball for Maryland. WIth a minute and thirty-nine seconds to play, Kelly McPartland scored on a free position shot to once again put the Terps up by one.

The Live Stats operator - who had be misidentifying Maryland players most of the night - credited Case Pepperman with controlling the draw (a possible if highly unlikely occurrence). Whoever picked the ball up, the crucial bit of information for Terps fans is that Maryland had control and was able to run out the clock escaping with the 8-7 win.