clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Terps finding their stride grab 2-1 win at Indiana

A healthy Maryland Terrapins men's soccer team appears to be finding their stride at the right time. For the third consecutive game, the Terps scored at least twice as they upended the fifth ranked Indiana Hoosiers 2-1.


Talking with Maryland men's soccer players in following each of the three games in their recent home stand, a recurring theme was that they would approach each game as though it was the postseason. They had to play off their front foot, play attacking Maryland style soccer, and not settle for any ties, let alone drop a game. That attitude was once again evident as the Terrapins picked up their fourth consecutive win and second over a top ten team in the last week in upending the Indiana Hoosiers 2-1 in Bloomington Sunday afternoon. The win improves the Terps to 7-5-2 on the season and 3-2-1 in the Big Ten.

First half - Breaking the ice

With the temperature hovering in the mid-fifties, the Maryland Terrapins and Indiana Hoosiers took to the pitch in Bloomington for a late season Big Ten Conference battle with the Indiana Hoosiers on a cloudy Sunday afternoon. The game loomed large for the Terps as they sat tied with the Hoosiers in points but effectively a half game behind them in the conference standings.

Following an offside call in the seventh minute, the Terps picked up the first corner kick in the tenth minute. Mikey Ambrose's serve was headed out of the box but the Terps retained possession and Ambrose played a dangerous cross that Hoosiers' goalkeeper Colin Webb punched out.

The game played out a a physical battle with both squads developing chances and committing fouls. Maryland's breakthrough came in the 20th minute and it began in the midfield with a steal of an errant Indiana pass just inside Maryland's defensive half by Michael Sauers.

Saukers played the ball to Alex Shinsky in space and the senior took over from there. With three Hoosiers traling behind him and two more several yards to his right, Shinsky took two long dribbles to the left corner of the eighteen yard box. On a brilliant solo move, he faked right and pushed the ball further left to just outside the six. As he went to the turf he managed a perfectly angles shot to the far post that Webb could merely admire.

While the defense prevented shots from getting through to Maryland goalkeeper Zack Steffen the offense continued to press forward picking up three more corner kicks. Although, the Terps didn't capitalize they preserved the 1-0 lead into halftime.

Second half - In good hands

Maryland new that one goal would not necessarily hold up against the Hoosiers on their home field and began their drive for an insurance goal early in the second half. That goal came in the fifty second minute when the Terps converted off a corner kick opportunity.

Ambrose watched as Webb punched out his service. However, Corboz corralled the bouncing ball and plaayed it wide and deep to Mikias Eticha. Eticha played a perfect ball into the box where Alex Crognale jumped slightly higher than Webb and and in front of him and headed it into the net. With just over 32 minutes remaining, the Terps had a two goal cushion.

Crognale's score proved vital when the Hoosiers scored in the 73rd minute on a long cross from the deep right. Femi-Hollinger-Janzen out jumped three Terrapins defenders and headed the ball past a diving Steffen. From that point, Maryland's defense stepped up and stiffened allowing the home team only one more shot that was not on goal and one corner kick securing the 2-1 win for the red hot Terrapins.

Maryland returns to action next Saturday with a match against West Coast opponent Santa Clara. The match is slated for 7 p.m. and is the first of Maryland's final three-game home stand of the season.