With the open period upon us and Signing Day approaching, we'll have more frequent recruiting roundups, especially when a lot has happened. In other news -- a lot has happened!
The new assistants are in, and reportedly out on the trail with the more experienced coaches. As soon as we find out their assigned recruiting areas, we'll let you know.
Top remaining target Damian Prince is taking his official visit to South Carolina, and is apparently going to be visited by new suitor James Franklin and Penn State. Maryland has been rumored to be in the lead for quite some time, but it appears the Gamecocks and Florida (spurred on by new commit Jalen Tabor) are making up some serious ground. I would expect Mike Locksley and new offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo to visit him shortly.
Penn State's not the only new school trying to get the five-star offensive tackle, as Maryland also has a pair of SEC powers to worry about.
Three-star safety Shawn Boone committed to NC State, joining Elliott Davis and Troy Vincent, Jr. as 2014 Maryland defensive back targets all committing to the Wolfpack Thursday. The Terps weren't expecting to land any of the three of them, but Boone and Vincent ending up at NC State instead of Penn State (where Vincent was committed) is a bit of a surprise.
Maryland has extended a new 2014 offer, to outside linebacker Nnamdi Egbuaba. He's a Baltimore prospect from St. Frances Academy, and Maryland is his first offer, although he's received interest from Arizona, Duke and NC State, among others. You can find old game-by-game highlights of him here, and he looks like a solid under-the-radar prospect.
In terms of what's left in the class, the Terps have 14 commits (including Derwin Gray and Larry Mazyck, who enrolled early), and I'd expect them to take somewhere between three and six more. They'll be looking for at least one more offensive linemen (with Prince and Jared Cohen as the best-case scenarios and Andrew Miles as a back-up option), at least one cornerback (Daniel Ezeagwu still looks to be the most likely choice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a new name like Chigozie Onyekwere or someone already committed elsewhere to show up) and two local guys like Egbuaba and Phillip Butler.
Using 247sports's nifty Class Calculator tool, we can see that a Maryland class with Prince, Cohen, Ezeagwu, Butler and Egbuaba would give them a score of 190.42 -- which would be good for 36th in the country, eighth in the ACC and sixth in the Big Ten as of right now. If going by the 2013 class scores (read: scores with other complete classes), Maryland would rank 41st in the country, ninth in the ACC and seventh in the Big Ten. The Terps' 2013 class totaled 190.61 points -- but both counted Derwin Gray, so count that as a slight against whichever class you see fit.
A class with Ezeagwu, Miles, Butler and Egbuaba? 162.87 -- that's 51st in the nation now (behind Utah and Washington State, among other recruiting luminaries) and would have been 59th last season (behind -- you guessed it -- Marshall).
2014 running back Marquel Dickerson announced on Twitter that he decommitted from Buffalo. Maryland wasn't really pursuing him before, so don't necessarily expect them to do it again, but he could be another backup option.
The Terps visited 2015 offensive guard Tommy Hatton in New Jersey, along with Penn State and Northwestern.
Three-star guard RT @NJ_FB_SPOT: Maryland, Penn State, and Northwestern should be at St. Joe's Montvale to visit 2015 OL Tommy Hatton today.— Testudo Times (@testudotimes) January 17, 2014
Blue-chip 2015 prospect Adam McLean has cut his list down to five, and it's bad news for Maryland.
Maryland was previously thought to be in very good position with McLean, so this news is equally as shocking as it is bad. It is very early in the process, but he has also said he'd like to make his decision before his senior season -- so this is one to keep an eye on.
2014 Big Board (Basketball):
- Melo Trimble, four stars, point guard, Bishop O'Connell (Va.) - committed 12/13/12
- Dion Wiley, four stars, shooting guard, Potomac (Md.) - committed 6/7/13
- Jared Nickens, four stars, shooting guard, Westtown (Pa.) - committed 6/16/13
- Trayvon Reed, four stars, center, Shiloh (Ga.) - committed 8/22/13
2015 Big Board (Basketball):
- Franklin Howard, four stars, Paul VI Catholic (Va.)
- Donovan Mitchell, three stars, Brewster Academy (N.H.)
- Jaylen Brown, five stars, Wheeler (Ga.)
- Marcus Sheffield, four stars, Chattahoochee (Ga.)
- Jordan Murphy, unrated, William J. Brennan (Texas)
- Cheick Diallo, five stars, Our Savior New American School (N.Y.)
- Carlton Bragg, five stars, Villa Angela-St. Joseph (Ohio)
- Horace Spencer, four stars, Henderson (Nev.)
- Alex Owens, four stars, Oak Ridge (Fla.)
- Josh Sharma, four stars, Northfield Mount Hernon (Mass.)
- Jeremy Miller, four stars, New Hampton School (N.H.)
- Shawntrez Davis, three stars, Tri-cities (Ga.)
- Esa Ahmad, three stars, Shaker Heights (Ohio)
- Sylvester Ogbonda, unrated, National Christian Academy (Md.)
2014 Big Board (Football):
- Donte Thomas-Williams, four stars, Hillside (N.C).
- Vernard Roberts, three stars, Dunbar (DC)
- Anthony Scott, three stars, Green Run (Va.)
- Phillip Butler, two stars, Linganore (Md.)
- Sterling Dailey, unranked, Stone Bridge (Va.)
- Juwann Winfree, four stars, Dwight Morrow (Nj.) - committed 9/27/13
- Tyshun Samuel, three stars, Chapman (Sc.)
- Rico Johnson, unranked, Georgia Prep Sports Academy (Ga.)
- James Duff, unranked, Dunbar (DC)
- Derwin Gray, four stars, Fork Union (Va.) - committed 6/15/12
- Larry Mazyck, three stars, Iowa Western C.C. (Ia.) - committed 8/25/13
- Sean Christie, three stars, Patchogue-Medford (N.Y.) - committed 12/15/13
- Damian Prince, five stars, Bishop McNamara (Md.)
- Jared Cohen, three stars, Mcdonogh (Md.)
- Andrew Miles, unrated, Flowery Branch (Ga.)
- Jesse Aniebonam, four stars, Good Counsel (Md.) - committed 8/23/13
- Tyler Burke, three stars, Coatesville Area (Pa.) - committed 6/25/13
- Brett Kulka, two stars, General Mclane (Pa.) - committed 6/24/13
- Nnamdi Egbuaba, unrated, St. Frances Academy (Md.)
- Vance Roberts, three stars, ASA College (Ny.)
- Kendall Randolph, three stars, Lincoln (Fla.)
- Daniel Ezeagwu, unrated, Colonial Forge (Va.)
- Jamal Robinson, unrated, DeMatha
- Anthony Fludd, unrated, Wise
- Josh Woods, three stars, Owings Mills (Md.) -- committed 11/18/13
- Jordan Noil, three stars, Norcross (Ga.) -- committed 10/1/13
- DaeJuan Funderburk, three stars, Friendship Academy (DC)
- Demetrius Johnson, four stars, Annapolis Christian Academy (Md.)
- Marquel Dickerson, unranked, North Point (Md.)
2015 Big Board (Football):
- Kai Locksley, four stars, Gilman (Md.)
- Brandon Wimbush, four stars, St. Peters Prep (N.J.)
- Kamonte Carter, four stars, Gaithersburg (Md.)
- Andre Robinson, four stars, Bishop McDevitt (Pa.)
- Johnathan Sutton, four stars, Swansea (S.C.)
- Javarius Davis, three stars, Ed White (Fla.)
- Jabari Greenwood, four stars, Gonzaga (D.C.)
- Brandon Polk, four stars, Briar Woods (Va.)
- Tavin Richardson, three stars, Byrnes (S.C.)
- Tyler Green, four stars, DeMatha (Md.)
- Isaiah Prince, four stars, Eleanor Roosevelt (Md.)
- Ryan Bates, four stars, Archbishop Wood (Md.)
- Austin Clark, four stars, Rockbridge County (Va.)
- E.J. Donahue, three stars, Linganore (Md.) -- committed 10/26/13
- Matthew Burrell, four stars, C.D. Hylton (Va.)
- Richie Petitbon, four stars, Gonzaga (D.C.)
- Kendrick Norton, four stars, Trinity Christian Academy (Fla.)
- Quarvez Boulware, four stars, Friendship Academy (D.C.)
- Josh Sweat, four stars, Oscar Smith (Va.)
- Harry Lewis, four stars, Phoebus (Va.)
- Ryan Buchholz, unrated, Great Valley (Pa.)
- Christian Wilkins, four stars, Suffield Academy (Conn.)
- Adam McLean, four stars, Quince Orchard (Md.)
- Darvin Taylor, four stars, Thomas Dale (Va.)
- Chance Hall, three stars, Northside (Va.)
- Jeffery Holland, five stars, Trinity Christian Academy (Fla.)
- Wyatt Cook, three stars, McDonogh School (Md.)
- Minkah Fitzpatrick, five stars, St. Peters Prep (N.J.)
- John Reid, four stars, St. Joseph's Prep (Pa.)
- Jalen Christian, four stars, Damascus (Md.)
- Kareem Ali, four stars, Timber Creek (N.J.)
- Maurice Smitherman, four stars, Minor (Ala.)
- Ashton White, four stars, Friendship (D.C.)
- DuWayne Johnson, three stars, H.D. Woodson (D.C.)
- Darnell Savage, three stars, Caravel Academy (Del.)
- Elias Cane, unrated, Ezell-Harding Christian (Tenn.)
- Jay Stocker, four stars, Coatesville Area (Pa.)
- Ben Edwards, three stars, Trinity Christian Academy (Fla.)
- Ayron Monroe, three stars, St. John's College (D.C.)
- AJ Turner, unrated, Centreville (Va.)