clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Maryland vs. UConn score update: Terps take 27-13 lead after three

The Terps opened the second half starting from their own 30, and C.J. Brown steadily led the Terps on a promising drive into Connecticut territory. But an Albert Reid fumble on a rush at the UConn 29 -- Maryland's second turnover of the game -- handed the Huskies the ball for their first shot of the half. The Huskies threatened with a drive to Maryland's 38-yard line before a Terps stop forced them to punt.

Brown opened up Maryland's ensuing drive with an impressive 27-yard run up the left sideline, then followed it up with a 26-yard pass to Malcolm Culmer, putting the Terps on UConn's 27. He then tried to hit Stefon Diggs in the end zone, and a pass interference was called on the Huskies, sending Maryland into the red zone. On the next play Brown threw a screen to Diggs, who relatively easily took it in for a 12-yard touchdown. Craddock's extra point was good, and the Terrapins took a 20-10 lead on a drive that took them just 1:27.

Connecticut followed with an unsuccessful four-play drive, but when the Terps got it back, Brandon Ross fumbled on the first play after a 10-yard rush. It was Maryland's third turnover of the game, and the second fumble by a running back. The Huskies took over at Maryland's 31-yard line, but the Terrapin defense held them to a field goal attempt that went through the uprights and made the score 20-13.

William Likely took the Connecticut kick 45 yards, and kicker Chad Christen was charged with a 15-yard personal foul on the return that put Maryland in excellent position, starting the drive at UConn's 37. But the Terps failed to get a first down, and on 4th-and-5 Edsall opted to have Brad Craddock attempt a 50-yard field goal, which was on target but fell short.

After Cole Farrand picked up a pass interference on the Huskies next drive, Dexter McDougle intercepted his second pass of the game and ran it back 49 yards all the way into the end zone. It put the Terps up 27-13 -- their largest lead of the game -- with two minutes to go in the quarter. However, McDougle went down while making a tackle on the next drive and appeared to have injured his right shoulder on the hit. He was eventually led off the field by trainers and into the tunnel.

With less than a minute left in the third quarter, Connecticut failed to get anything going and punted to the Terps, who let the clock run out.