Maryland may have no specific stake in this game of the World Cup, but it's the biggest sporting event in the world and two Terrapin players -- USA's Omar Gonzalez and Grahm Zusi -- will be taking place. More importantly, it's the offseason, and what better way to spend your Thursday than watching world-class soccer with your fellow TT'ers?
The festivities start Thursday, as host country Brazil kicks off Group A action with a contest against Croatia. It's the only game of the day, unfortunately (for some -- I'll be travelling all day, so I'm pretty happy that I only have to miss one), but it's a start.
Some links, beyond our beautiful preview in the banner above:
- A beginner's guide to the World Cup. Don't be shy! As a convert to soccer, trust me -- it's worth your time.
- Explaining the World Cup for college football fans. Scroll on down to the comments here as well: I contributed to our comparisons between college football teams and World Cup squads.
- All 32 World Cup kits ranked, from best to worst. Jersey talk is always friendly for Maryland fans.
- Longform: Silence in the Favela -- Love and Soccer in Brazil's best worst place.
- A brief history of the opening ceremony
How to witness
Date, time and location: June 12, 4 p.m. ET, Brazil
Online streaming: WatchESPN
Consider this your open thread -- we'll have a new one each day. Enjoy!