The ACC only had one "marquee" non-conference game this week, albeit an unranked opponent coming off an embarrassing loss. As always, #goacc.
1. Clemson 2-0 (0-0 in conference) -- Last Week: Idle
Clemson will be at the top until they lose or do something terrible.
2. Florida State 2-0 (1-0) -- LW: Won 62-7 over Nevada
Nevada was without starting QB Cody Fajardo, a solid dual-threat, but even with Fajardo that score line would have been terribly different. Jameis Winston has more touchdowns than incompletions (6-to-5). I just thought you should remind you he's a redshirt freshman.
3. Georgia Tech 2-0 (1-0) -- LW: Won 38-14 over Duke
Tech picked up their first conference win over Duke, and did it with Vad Lee tossing 4 passing touchdowns. While not the starter last year, Lee did see time and it was the total number of passing TD's he had last season.
4. Miami (Fl.) 2-0 (0-0) -- LW: Idle
Miami took last week off to prepare for mighty Savannah State. The Hurricanes are 55-point favorites against a team that has already lost by 63 and 68 points this season.
5. Maryland 3-0 (0-0) -- LW: Won 32-21 over UConn
Maryland went on the road to upend UConn in a game that showed they could win despite playing poorly. Unfortunately lost starting cornerback Dexter McDougle for the rest of the season.
6. North Carolina State 2-0 (0-0) -- LW: Idle
An extra week to prepare for Clemson probably isn't enough, but NC State certainly will take it. A win for the Wolfpack will drastically alter these rankings next week.
7. Virginia Tech 2-1 (0-0) -- LW: Won 15-10 over ECU
Pro: Holding high-scoring ECU to 10 points. Con: The Hokies can't run the football at all.
8. North Carolina 1-1 (0-0) -- LW: Idle
Heels rebounded after the dismal debut against South Carolina. Then they got this past week off to prepare for the triple-option of Georgia Tech. That's always a good thing.
9. Boston College 2-1 (1-0) -- LW: Lost 35-7 to USC
USC lost 10-7 against Wazzu the week before in embarrassing fashion. Then came BC! Problem solved. I feel for Alex Amidon.
10. Duke 2-1 (0-1) -- LW: Lost 38-14 to Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech is a good team, and really there is no shame in losing to them. Especially not when someone else in the league lost to UL-Monroe.
11. Pittsburgh 1-1 (0-0) -- LW: Won 49-27 over New Mexico
A huge week from freshman WR Tyler Boyd lifted the Panthers over the Lobos. Boyd and Devin Street could form a nice 1-2 for the Panthers on the outside.
12. Virginia 1-1 (0-0) -- LW: Idle
I watched their shellacking at the hands of the Ducks first hand two weeks ago. That 59-10 beating doesn't look as terrible now after the Ducks beat Tennessee 59-14 this weekend.
13. Syracuse 1-2 (0-0) -- LW: Won 54-0 over Wagner
Winning is enough to get out of the doghouse this week, but not enough to get them any higher than this.
14. Wake Forest 1-2 (0-1) -- LW: Lost 21-19 to UL-Monroe
Just an ugly loss. The Deacs struggled against an inferior team and find themselves at the bottom this week.
What do you think about the rankings? Are the Terps too high? Too Low?