Another day, another recap of a basketball game I couldn't actually watch. Yesterday, we slowly learned bits and pieces about Maryland's first exhibition game in the Bahamas, eventually getting treated to highlights from the game that included a Dez Wells dunk show and Spencer Barks reacting to said dunk show.
Today, thanks to Alex Prewitt and Seth Allen's brother, we actually saw a box from last night's game. The school also wrote up a recap after realizing that us crazy Maryland fans really care about preseason exhibition basketball in the Bahamas.
Some interesting notes from that recap:
- Dez Wells didn't play for precautionary reasons, due to a sore knee. Shaq, as we previously knew, also didn't play due to back spasms.
- Your starters last night? Roddy Peters, sophomore Varun Ram, junior Jacob Susskind, junior Spencer Barks(!) and freshman Damonte Dodd. Who said bench cheering can't get you minutes? Presumably Turgeon did this since they were playing two games in a row and to give some of the other guys experience.
- Seth Allen had himself a night, scoring 26 points on 9/10 shooting, including going 5/5 beyond the arc, all while dishing out 10 assists and committing just two turnovers.
- Charles Mitchell had a good night, putting up a double-double of 12 points and 13 boards.
- Jake Layman put up 14 points and Evan Smotrycz scored 11 to go along with 8 rebounds.
"We played a great opponent last night and our guys who traditionally don't play many minutes played well and led us to a good win," head coach Mark Turgeon said following the game.
Maybe we'll get some more video highlights later today?
Maryland is off today and will play in their final game of their Bahamas tour tomorrow at 11:00 AM.
"OMG I'm STARTING? YEAH!" Pretty sure that's what this video is really about.