In light of the recent changes here at Testudo Times, we felt it would be a good time to revise the Community Guidelines and remind people of their existence.
Rather than handing down a decree from above, however, we would like to open a one-week comment period for discussion of these proposed guidelines. Please use this FanPost to express your approval, note any concerns, or recommend any changes that you see fit.
We will consider all reasonable suggestions and try to forge a document that strikes a balance between what is required by SB Nation and what you all feel is appropriate for our community.
Forgive me for this, but please rec this post so that it remains visible for all to see. Here are the proposed guidelines:
1. The Golden Rule: Treat others as you would like to be treated. Remember that this is all for fun and we all share a common interest in Maryland Athletics.
2. Discrimination based on age, race, sex, sexual orientation, religion, or political affiliation will not be tolerated.
3. Avoid personal attacks including but not limited to name-calling, belittling, and mean-spirited sarcasm.
4. No baiting, trolling, or spamming.
5. Attempt to use proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and formatting whenever possible.
6. Excessive criticism of players is off-limits. Reasonable critique of on-field performance is acceptable, relentless or profane bashing is not. If you wouldn't say it to the face of the player's parents, don't post it here.
7. Stay on topic. Off-topic discussions, especially those that are meant to provoke or inflame, will be removed if an administrator feels they are a distraction. However, contentious issues will sometimes emerge as legitimate tangents to posted stories - this is acceptable, and conversations will be moderated according to the posted guidelines.
8. All rules that apply to site users also apply to managers, authors, and moderators. If you feel a site administrator is out of line, flag his or her comments for review with a detailed explanation of why the comments are inappropriate.
9. The Maryland Minute is our community's open thread. If you would like to share something that doesn't belong in a Fan Post, a Fan Shot, or any of the current stories on the front page, post it to the Maryland Minute. While the rest of the rules above still apply, there is no such thing as "off topic" in the Maryland Minute.
10. FanPosts are intended for thoughtful and extended commentary on issues related to Maryland Athletics. They should provide unique insights that facilitate conversations on the issues.
11. Refrain from using filler text (e.g. GoTerpGoTerpsGoTerp). If you are unable to reach the minimum word count, consider posting your item as a FanShot, a comment in the Maryland Minute, or a comment on an existing thread that relates to your topic.
12. Avoid topic duplication. If there already exists another FanPost or front page story on a topic, consider adding your insights to that existing thread as a comment.
13. Breaking news stories are acceptable as long as they meet the normal standards for FanPosts. Any "link + filler" posts will be removed.
14. FanShots are for posting quick snippets of information. These could include videos, pictures, quotes, articles, or other media. If you don't have time to write a full FanPost and you don't want your comment to get lost in the Maryland Minute, creating a FanShot is your best alternative.
15. Moderation rules will be relaxed but not suspended. Site administrators retain the right to moderate comments that are deemed inappropriate.
16. No links to illegal streams, please.
Questions, Comments, and Concerns
17. If you have any questions, comments or concerns that you do not want aired publicly on the site, please direct them to email@example.com. We will do our best to monitor this email and respond to issues as they arise.